h1

Indian Dossier Lacks Concrete Proof Against Saeed

August 27, 2009

42-21906708ISLAMABAD: India’s only evidence against Jamaatud Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed is based on statements given by three accused detained in the Mumbai attack case, claiming that the banned outfit’s leader had overseen their training and urged them in his sermons to carry out attacks.

The sixth dossier on the 26/11 attacks handed over to Pakistan last week, which India said contained ‘solid evidence against Hafiz Saeed’ is a mere reproduction of the already shared confessional accounts of the lone surviving Mumbai attack accused, Ajmal Amir Kasab, and two other accused in the case Faheem Ansari and Sabahuddin.

Additionally, it makes a reference to the communication between the attackers and their unidentified handlers in Pakistan.

The dossier describes it as ‘cogent and credible evidence’ of the involvement of Hafiz Saeed in the planning and execution of the Mumbai attacks.

Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said in a television interview: ‘Whatever evidence that we have gathered in our opinion, is enough to get a person convicted if it is presented through proper advocacy before a court of law.’

He regretted that Pakistan, notwithstanding its commitment to bring the perpetrators to justice had ignored key figures in the case, including those who had masterminded the attack.

The prosecution of Hafiz Saeed in connection with the Mumbai attacks has been a key Indian demand for the continuation of a meaningful dialogue with Pakistan.

New Delhi was perturbed after the Jamatud Dawah chief was released by the Lahore High Court because of lack of evidence.

He had been put under house arrest in December last year after his organisation was blacklisted by the UN Security Council.

His release was challenged by the federal and Punjab governments in the Supreme Court.

The petitions challenging the LHC order were indefinitely adjourned by the apex court earlier this month.

The latest Indian dossier stated that Hafiz Saeed had been nominated in each of the 12 FIRs registered in connection with the Mumbai attacks and he was the ‘main absconder’ among the 35 accused.

He was charged with being affiliated to the banned Lashkar-i-Tayba and being a party to ‘criminal conspiracy’ to carry out attacks in India.

He has been booked under the Indian Penal Code of 1860, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act of 1967, Arms Act of 1959, Explosives Act of 1908, Prevention of Damage to Public Properties Act of 1984, Railways Act of 1989, Customs Act of 1962, Foreigners Act of 1946 and the Passport (Entry into India) Act of 1920.

The dossier quotes from Kasab’s confessional statement before the Mumbai’s additional chief metropolitan magistrate in which he claims to have first met Hafiz Saeed in December 2007 at a 21-day training camp.

According to Kasab’s statement, he subsequently met Hafiz Saeed at other training sessions in Chelabandi, Sevai Nallah and a place called ‘Baitul Mujahideen’ where he ‘selected trainees and supervised their training’.

According to Kasab’s testimony, after the completion of training Hafiz Saeed formed five pairs of 10 fighters for carrying out attacks in Mumbai and gave the attackers operational instructions, including the hijacking of a boat and the timing of the attack.

He is said to have specified targets on a large screen in a ‘media control room at the training camp’.

Fahim Ansari, who was originally arrested on Feb 9 last year in connection with the Rampur camp attack case, also claimed in his statement that Hafiz Saeed had visited the training camp and exhorted the trainees to launch a ‘Jihad against India’.

The third accused, Sabahuddin, who was also initially detained in the Rampur case, said he had received training at Muridke where Hafiz Saeed was based.

However, he first saw the cleric at the Mochi Darwaza in Lahore and had been ‘fascinated by his sermons’.

The dossier also refers to the communication between the terrorists and their handlers in Pakistan through a Callphonex account. It states that the account had been accessed from 10 IP addresses, including five in Pakistan, one of which was that of Col Saadatullah of the Army’s Special Communication Organisation.

Advertisements

2 comments

  1. Hafiz Saeed is good person i met him.


  2. He is a pious man. And administrating the largest NGO of Pakistan. That was well covered by CNN and BBC during 7th October Quake. Their volunteers have reached the points where army was unable to.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: