In what is clearly a blow to India’s case against Pakistan, Interpol today has confirmed that India has so far not provided any real evidence to back up their allegations that the Mumbai attackers came from Pakistan.
Interpol secretary general Ronald Noble, who is in Islamabad, said its only knowledge of what happened had come from the media.
Pakistan says it also has had no firm information from Delhi, and that India has not provided ample evidence for arrest of any accused of the Mumbai attacks.
India claims Pakistani militants carried out the attacks, which left more than 170 people dead. Only one of the 10 gunmen, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab, survived and he is in Indian custody.
On Monday India handed a letter to Pakistan it says was written by Mr Qasab, confirming he is Pakistani and asking for Islamabad’s help.
Earlier, the FBI had also rejected Indian claims that Pakistan’s Intelligence Agencies were involved in the Mumbai Attacks.
With India fast losing ground on its campaign to get Pakistan listed as a Terrorist state, there is a serious possibility of its Air Force attempting to carry out ‘surgical strikes’ in a desperate bid to ease the pressure on its government from right wing Hindu Nationalist groups calling for an all out war on Pakistan.
Pakistan’s Armed Forces continue to remains on a high alert to face any aggression from India.
Investigate first before pointing fingers: China to India
Both China and Iran have come out to support Pakistan’s stance at this critical time.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang said that the question of “where the terrorists are from” is a matter that will be known after proper investigations. He was replying to a question about India’s concerns that terrorists in the Mumbai attack came from Pakistan and Islamabad’s refusal to accept it.
Earlier, India had complained about leading Iranian news agencies being largely sympathetic towards Pakistan and insinuating that India has been acting under the influence of the US.
It is at times like these that you know who your friends are, and they’re not in the US or UK.
You had one Mumbai, we have a ‘Mumbai’ every day.
Kasab’s letter wouldn’t be accepted as evidence in any court: Ayaz Amir
Pakistani Journalist Ayaz Amir said on CNN-IBN today that the letter given to Pakistan which India says is Kasab’s confession, wouldn’t even stand in Indian courts. India doesn’t seem serious to get to the bottom of who actually carried out the Mumbai Attacks. They’re more interested in putting International pressure on Pakistan.
Despite harping on about having given Pakistan proof – the reality is that the ‘evidence’ so far presented amounts to ONE letter, a confession statement given to the police, which wouldn’t even be accepted as evidence in Indian courts as per the Indian Penal code.
Watch the video here:
Ayaz Amir’s on CNN-IBN Part 1
Ayaz Amir’s on CNN-IBN Part 2
Incredibly calm and well handled – considering the stupidity of the questions put forward to him and the obvious provcation.